Get Food Assistance

See below to learn more about how to get food assistance through Senior Programs, Mobile Pantry Sites, locating a Food Pantry in your area, or by speaking to a Social Services Assistance Staff member.

Social Services Assistance staff can provide valuable information regarding SNAP and other HHSC benefits that may be available to assist with supplementing your food budget. Contact an SSA staff member through the SNAP Information page.

Food Assistance and SNAP FAQs

What is the difference between a food bank and a food pantry?

food bank is a non-profit that safely stores millions of pounds of food that will soon be delivered to local food programs, like a food pantry. The food stored by food banks is donated from local neighbors, retailers, grocery stores, and restaurants.

food pantry is a distribution center where hungry families can receive food. Supplied with food from a food bank, pantries feed hundreds of people per week! Because every community is different, there are many different types of pantries.

How can I receive food?

NTFB works with a network of more than 200 Partner Agencies and provides access to food at more than 1,000 feeding locations in our service area. Partner Agencies include food pantries, after school programs, senior meal programs, shelters, soup kitchens, and other facilities.

Locate a Partner Agency

Does the food bank approve my SNAP application?

The Social Services Assistance (SSA) Team of the food bank is a Community Partner building a bridge between Health and Human Services (HHSC) and communities in our service area to provide access to food, cash, and healthcare assistance. While the SSA Team assists with the application process, we do not determine eligibility. HHSC processes the applications and determines eligibility and has up to 30 days to process your SNAP application.

If you would like assistance applying for SNAP, Medicaid, TANF, Texas Health Women, or the Medicare Savings Program, contact a SNAP Representative.

How will I know when HHSC is calling me?

When HHSC calls for an interview, the caller ID will say (737) 867-7700. Add it to your phone contacts so you know it is HHSC calling.

If I have applied for SNAP with the food bank and have questions about my pending case, what can I do?

For information about state benefits ( dial  2-1-1, select your language, then choose Option 2. If you have health and human services related complaints or issues, please visit the  Office of the Ombudsman website.

When submitting your application via YourTexasBenefits, make note of your Submission ID# for 2-1-1 to be able to locate your application.

If 2-1-1 is unable to assist you, and you have additional questions regarding your case, please contact our Call Center for assistance, 214-269-0906.

What household changes do I need to report for my SNAP case?

You should report:

  • If anyone moves in or out of your SNAP household. Your SNAP household refers to anyone included on your SNAP case.
  • Financial changes like income, rent, savings, or child support.
  • Changes to your address to ensure you receive important letters from HHSC. If your mail is returned to HHSC, this could cause your case to be denied.

Most households need to report changes within 10 days of the change, but some do not. Your caseworker can confirm which rules apply to your household.

You can report changes online with a Your Texas Benefits account.

How do I replace a lost or stolen EBT/Lonestar card?

If you cannot find your EBT card, call the Texas EBT hotline as soon as you can: 1-800-777-7328. Press #1 for English, #9 for Spanish. Press #2 to access your card account information. You will need to enter your 19-digit card number. If your card has been lost, stolen, or damaged press #2 to cancel your card.

What can I buy with my EBT card (SNAP Benefits)?

You can use your SNAP benefits to buy groceries, snacks, and seeds or plants that will produce food. You cannot use your SNAP benefits to buy alcohol, tobacco products, vitamins, live animals, prepared foods (unless otherwise advised by HHSC), or any non-food household items.

Which stores and restaurants accept my EBT card (SNAP)?

Fresh EBT is a good resource for locating stores and farmer’s markets that accept EBT (SNAP). Download the Fresh EBT App This site is not affiliated with the North Texas Food Bank.

Can I get any discounts with my EBT card?

Yes! You can receive discounted prices or free admission to theme parks, museums, zoos, aquariums, and more. This site is not affiliated with the North Texas Food Bank.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: This institution is an equal opportunity provider.