Healthy Pantry Nudges Project
The Healthy Pantry Nudges Project aims to promote health and healthy eating habits by improving policies, systems, and environmental changes at food pantries. By increasing availability of healthy food where food bank clients shop, this project increases the likelihood that our North Texas neighbors establish healthy eating habits. The healthy choice is made the easy choise!
Promotes healthy eating by improving policies, systems, and environmental changes (nudges) at pantries. Must fulfill the participation criteria of the HPP.
Implements nudge strategies from Feeding America (environmental changes). "Nudges" are one component of a healthy pantry but are not the only intervention strategy available for Feeding Texas' HPP.
What can HPP look like at your pantry?
- Implementing a nutrition policy to increase the amount/variety/quality of healthy foods
- Food demonstrations at the pantry
- Nutrition education handouts
- Recipe cards
- Health promotion signage and shelf tags
How is this project effective?
- Increased the amount of healthy foods chosen by pantry clients by 46%
- Nudges increased the amount of healthy food items distributed by 56% per client on average
- Increasing the availability of healthy food this project increases the likelihood that clients establish healthy eating habits