Winter Recipe: Roasted Beet Salad
This winter recipe to kick off 2023, Roasted Beet Salad, might sound like something you are more likely to eat in the spring or summer. But many vegetables are actually in their prime in the winter and that includes beets, a root vegetable that is in season November through the late winter months – making this the perfect time to whip up this salad!
Beets have an earthy and slightly bitter taste when raw, but when cooked (for example, when roasted), they turn sweet and candy-like. Not only are they tasty, but they are low in calories and high in nutrients, among other benefits, including:
- Rich in folate (vitamin B9)
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- High in fiber
- High in nitrates which contributes to lower blood pressure
We promote eating the rainbow when it comes to fruits and vegetables, as different colors provide different natural vitamins and nutrients for your body. The natural purple color of beets is an excellent source of antioxidants.
This salad, along with the other NTFB nutritious recipes, is a great part of your plan if you need help getting back into a routine after the holiday season. Here are a few other tips for starting out the new year in a healthy and nourishing way:
- Quantity and quality are both essential. Portion control is equally as important as what food you eat
- Include fruits and vegetables. You want to aim for ½ your plate being fruits and vegetables, according to Mi plato.
- Incorporate physical activity into your routine. This is important for both your physical and mental health. Aim for 30-60 minutes a day of physical activity on most days of the week.
Roasted Beet Salad
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 1 bunch beets, washed and greens cut off
- Beet greens, washed and rinsed
- 1 medium orange, peeled, segmented, and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cucharadita de sal
- Pimienta negra al gusto
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wrap whole beets in foil pouches, making sure they are tightly shut.
- Roast beets for 1 hour or until fork easily pierces through the beet.
- Place beets in a bowl, cover and allow the steam to loosen the skin.
- Using a spoon, remove the skin from the beets when safe enough to handle. Chop into bite-size pieces.
- Tear the greens and steam just until wilted.
- Toss all ingredients together and serve or chill to serve cold.
Full nutritional information about this recipe can be found here: https://ntfb.org/beet-salad/
Los servicios de nutrición son un componente crítico del plan estratégico del Banco de Alimentos para brindar Alimentos para hoy y esperanza para el mañana, y hemos brindado educación culinaria y nutricional gratuita a poblaciones de bajos ingresos desde 1996. Visite nuestro sitio web para obtener más información sobre nuestros servicios de educacion.
También asegúrese de suscribirse al boletín de jardinería y nutrición, Pala y cuchara, para mantenerse al día con las últimas noticias de nuestro equipo de Servicios de Nutrición. Suscríbete aquí.
Have a great winter!
Jamie Palefsky is a Nutrition Education Specialist for the North Texas Food Bank.