- Cook brown rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add canola or olive oil.
- Add carrots and peas and stir frequently for 3-5 minutes.
- Add lightly beaten eggs and incorporate them into the vegetable mixture, by breaking them up as they cook.
- After eggs are cooked, add the rice and the soy sauce. Continue stirring until the rice starts to look crispy, about 5 minutes. If rice is not reaching this consistency, turn up the heat to high and cook another 3 minutes.
- If desired, add toasted sesame oil for a more authentic taste. Stir for another minute, top with green onions (if desired), and serve.
- Dress it up by adding other vegetables in step two, such as broccoli, cabbage, onion, or celery or cooked protein such as diced chicken, tofu, or shrimp.
- Day-old rice works well because it is dryer than fresh rice.
This material was funded by USDA's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education – SNAP-Ed. USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.