Support Hunger Action Month
This September, you can choose to make a difference for thousands of North Texans experiencing hunger.
Starting today, the North Texas Food Bank joins Feeding America food banks across the country to take part in the annual Hunger Action Month, an annual campaign dedicated to driving awareness and inspiring action to help end hunger in America, both at a national scale and on the ground in local communities.
Food should not be an impossible choice. But for more than 800,000 North Texans experiencing food insecurity – including almost 300,000 children – the dilemma of choosing between purchasing food and other necessities, such as electricity, medicine or childcare, is a reality.
The North Texas Food Bank is dedicated to easing this burden for our neighbors by providing not just food for today, but also hope for tomorrow by addressing the underlying issues that can lead to hunger.
Hunger Action Month is a great opportunity for the community to contribute to our vision and get involved in the fight against hunger.
You can find a full calendar of Hunger Action Month events and engagement opportunities here, but below are a few highlights of ways to take action this September. How will you choose to end hunger?
- Promote awareness of hunger by purchasing an exclusive Hunger Action Month yard sign. These will only be available the month of September and are a great way to show your neighbors you are a hunger fighter and encourage them to take their own action.
- Take part in Hunger Action Day on September 17. This is a day within Hunger Action Month where collective actions across the country are focused for greater impact. No action is too big or small. Sign up to volunteer at the Food Bank or a food pantry in your local community. Visit the food trucks at Klyde Warren Park where a portion of all purchases will benefit NTFB. Watch parts of the iconic Dallas skyline light up orange for hunger awareness!
- Support our services through donating. North Texas Giving Day is on September 23, and you can schedule your donation here. Early giving starts today! You can also set up your own fundraising page and encourage your family and friends to contribute. It is not necessary to make a large donation to have a big impact – every $1 donated provides access to three nutritious meals!
- Spread the word. Visit the NTFB Facebook page and our other social media channels to share our posts and raise awareness of hunger issues in North Texas. Choose a customized Facebook frame and “Go Orange” on your profile picture. Use #hungeractionmonth on your posts and be a part of the movement across the country.
- Advocate for hunger relief. Call your elected officials. Tell them why hunger matters. You can find your representatives here. You can also sign up for our advocacy newsletter to stay informed of the many ways government programs can help us bridge the hunger gap both locally and nationally.
- Donate your time through volunteering. The volunteers are the hearts and hands behind our organization. We are so grateful for everyone who is willing to help us sort, pack and distribute food – and many other volunteer opportunities are available across the Food Bank. Visit here to learn more: ntfb.org/volunteer.
- Remember that it’s never too early to learn more about hunger and how you can best help our neighbors. Check out the new children’s book presented by the NTFB, Hunger Bugs Me!
We hope you join us this month and throughout the year. Let’s choose to end hunger together!
Caryn Berardi is a Communications Specialist for the North Texas Food Bank.